Jackson Jr. blasts Bush "police state of the union"

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 3 11:49:59 PST 2002

REP. JESSE JACKSON, JR. BLASTS BUSH ADDRESS: 'A POLICE STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH' Sun Feb 03 2002 14:34:51 ET

A U.S. congressman blasted President Bush this weekend, calling his recent address to the nation: "A police State of the Union speech!"

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. [D-IL] made the stunning comments on BET's LEAD STORY.

"I think what we actually heard in the State of the Union speech was the 'police' State of the Union speech," Jackson told guest host Amy Holmes.

"Increases in homeland security, obviously necessary, and I'm supportive of the President's efforts to fight against terrorism in our country and around the world. But it's increasingly clear that it's coming at the expense of a number of necessary programs for Americans..."

The four-term Illinois Democrat -- who is son of civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson -- added: "The union is clearly less than perfect and the President did not make that case."

Developing...