Terrorism and drugs commercial

Lance Murdoch MurdochLance at netscape.net
Mon Feb 4 11:32:49 PST 2002

Apparently there was a commercial during the Superbowl last night that said people who use drugs are supporting terrorism. I did not see it, but people have been describing it to me today, and people on the net are discussing it as well. These $3.4 million dollar ads were paid for by the White House, which was "Washington's biggest media buy ever".

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020130/en/television-superbowl_1.html

These commercials have been described to me, and I have visited their web site. What it says is interesting:

http://www1.theantidrug.com/drugs_terror/understanding_impact.html

Who is listed first as terrorist groups involved in drug trafficking? FARC from Colombia and Shining Path in Peru. Coincidentally two groups which have been fighting against Occidental and Shell Oil respectively. Of course, the Taliban is listed as well. Colombia's right wing AUC has been thrown in as well. I guess September 11th hasn't been good for the AUC, after it the State Department suddenly had an epiphany that they were terrorists and labeled them as such, and now they've realize that they're involved in drug trafficking as well.

I doubt the drug users supporting terrorism label will be slapped on those who bought drugs trafficked by US army commander of anti-drug operations in Colombia James Hiett. I also doubt that the White House will next spend $3.4 million dollars in an ad campaign telling people who buy Procter and Gamble products that they are supporting forced civilian labor in Burma, or that those who purchase clothes from Nike and the Gap are supporting child labor in third world sweatshops. People becoming aware of the conditions in which the products they buy are manufactured and distributed is a good thing, but I suspect this is just the second step in gearing up the American public for a war against the people currently living over South American oil fields. The first step being the half billion dollars sent to Colombia's military via the "USA Patriot" act. --

__________________________________________________________________ Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop at Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/