Bill Gates takes rich to task

Jim Westrich westrich at miser.umass.edu
Mon Feb 4 14:01:17 PST 2002

Gates made his large donations to his dad's health charity in 1999. I have not examined all the actual grants given out by the organization (I remember a big one that went to fight AIDS in four "well-behaved" African countries, a big one for AIDS research, and another big one for malaria prevention). The fund is really mostly cash reserves, they haven't given out that much in grants yet.

I am not sure of the criteria for the grants but it is definitely not saving the most lives in the most cost-effective way. They undoubtedly help nevertheless. Biology is only a small part of the fight.

At 04:36 PM 2/4/02, kelly wrote:
>At 04:27 PM 2/4/02 -0500, Nathan Newman wrote:
>>The way Gates got rich was illegitimate but the way he is spending the
>>proceeds is, as far as I can tell, quite admirable. He is following in the
>>footsteps of the elder Rockefeller, but more consciously and earlier in his
>>connection of private philanthropy to the broader social conditions.
>
>wasn't that a turnabout? i remember that he was roundly criticized a while
>back because he wasn't much of a philanthropist. the argument was that
>cyberlibertarians tends not to be especially generous because their wealth
>was all on paper. there was an entire spread on the topic here, when i
>first moved to FL.

"We know most things about it, but tuberculosis still kills more people than any other pathogen; far more than alcoholism, AIDS, malaria, tropical diseases and Ebola combined. . . [A]nd nobody seems to care. . . . Where is the outrage?"

-Lee Reichman

"Not only is the cost of inequality the cost we incur for no economic benefit, but all indications are that it imposes a substantial economic burden which reduces the competitiveness of the whole society."

-Richard Wilkinson, *Unhealthy Societies: The Afflictions of Inequality*