Scalia is a pig

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Tue Feb 5 09:02:44 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> Who made him Pope? He's like the fisherman's wife in the Grimm's fairy tale
> who wants to be King and Emperor and Pope. She got her comeuppance in the
> end. He probably won't, except to be reviled as the architect of the worst
> S.Ct decsion since Plessy v. Fergeson and Lochner v. NY. jks

[...]

This comment, though, is good...

> >In Chicago on Jan. 25, Scalia said, "In my view, the choice for the judge
> >who believes the death penalty to be immoral is resignation rather than
> >simply ignoring duly enacted constitutional laws and sabotaging the death
> >penalty." His remarks were transcribed by the event sponsor, the Pew
> >Forum.

...wouldn't you say? Shouldn't judges be guided by the law and not their own personal beliefs, especially religious ones? It is just a shame that he makes this point wrt the death penalty.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588

yahoo msg: beyondzero123 The technology that extends our senses is increasingly difficult to distinguish from the technology that creates our senses.

-Richard Thieme