Rumsfeld: the Nazi model

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Feb 5 13:18:50 PST 2002

[This was pointed out by BuzzFlash.com, which mainly seems like a laundered PR arm of the Dems, but this is a gem. Rumsfeld, last night, to Jim Lehrer on the NewsHour.] Doug

This was a fascinating interview. Jim Lehrer in his friendly, lick-spittle way, bumbled into unmasking a real live Dr. Strangelove.

At one point, Lehrer asked (to paraphrase), so do you mean we, the US, are now willing to go after potential targets, without being attacked first? Bumsfeld equivocated. So Lehrer rephrased the question. What I mean is, in the past we waited to be attacked, and then we responded. Are you saying that we are now willing to commit to actions on our own without being attacked first (words to that effect)? More foggy quasi-acknowledgement from Rumsfelt. At this point, Lehrer must have realized he had accidently succeeded in cornering Rumsfelt, that this was going on the air as a foreign policy statement and so he backed off.

What made it fascinating, was that Lehrer and Rumsfelt both looked at each other as if they didn't believe what had just happened.

Chuck Grimes