Bill Gates takes rich to task

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Feb 5 13:39:53 PST 2002

At 02:34 PM 02/05/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>That was the first revolution. The second, under way now, is a surge
> of basic biomedical science toward the private sector, driven by the
> mobilization of philanthropy and corporate risk capital. Continuing
> the frontier motif, it could be called the Great Enclosure. Just as
> the 19th-century frontier was transformed from public land into a
> checkerboard of individually owned holdings, the largely public
> domain of basic research is now moving into private
> hands. Interestingly, these enclosure revolutions came about in the
> same way: Both were implemented by purposeful government
> intervention, accomplished through statute.

You know, maybe Ayn Rand was right....maybe what we need is a strike of the intellectuals. Let's all go get teaching credentials and head for the public schools. Lay the foundations and let the marketing folks have academia and the research labs and the think tanks. Don't have sex with any intellectual that makes more than 40,000 a year.

?????

Joanna B,