Tue., Feb. 19: _Children of the Camps_ (Panel Discussion after the Screening)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 6 03:17:45 PST 2002

Progressive Film Series: Critical Perspectives on Wars, Classes, & Empires

Screening: _Children of the Camps_ Dir. Stephen Holsapple/Project Dir. Satsuki Ina, 1999

Date: Tuesday, February 19 Time: 7:30 p.m. (Refreshments Provided) Location: 264 MacQuigg Lab, OSU 105 W. Woodruff Ave., Columbus, OH

More than 120,000 Japanese Americans were interned behind barbed wire during World War II . . . over half were children. The documentary _Children of the Camps_ captures the experiences of six Americans of Japanese ancestry who were confined as children to internment camps by the U.S. government during World War II. The film vividly portrays their personal journey to heal the deep wounds they suffered from this experience.

"I remember the soldiers marching us to the Army tank and I looked at their rifles and I was just terrified because I could see this long knife at the endŠ" (_Children of the Camps_).

Dr. Judy Tzu-Chun Wu (OSU Dept. of History) will introduce the documentary, and a panel discussion with internment survivors will follow the screening.

Sponsors: the Student International Forum and Social Welfare Action Alliance. Co-sponsor: Asian American Student Services. OSU campus map: <www.osu.edu/map/linkbuildings/macquigglab.html>. For more info, contact Yoshie Furuhashi at <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> or 614-668-6554; or Keith Kilty at <kilty.1 at osu.edu> or 614-292-7181.

The flyer for the event is available at <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/children.doc>. The flyer for other upcoming SIF/SWAA events is available at <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar5.doc>. -- Yoshie