US squelched B-TRON OS and processor chip

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Feb 6 08:11:23 PST 2002

Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> I would argue that if you take in enough of the breadth and depth of this
> man's vision and accomplishments, you would see that he is easily on the
> same level as Tim Berners-Lee.

i am curious: what do you think is the breadth and depth of berners-lee's vision and accomplishments? i ask because i applaud the man for initiating the web but i do not see much reason to credit him for its raging success (if at all such individual credit is due, a fair share has to go to the mosaic team at ncsa since the GUI is what i believe helped the web succeed over more sophisticated contemporary technologies such as gopher) and it is difficult to think of the original html spec and the http protocol as a great technical accomplishment. i am not trying to "diss" the poor man... i think my view might be jaundiced by my narrowly technical blinders. hence my curiosity about yours...

--ravi