Wanniski, Farrakhan, Pearl

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 6 09:23:19 PST 2002

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:57:35 -0500 To: politics at polyconomics.com From: Jude Wanniski <jwanniski at polyconomics.com>

Sorry I did not think about this earlier, re Dan Pearl, but I asked Min Farrakhan if he would call for Pearl's release and he issued this statement to the news wires earlier today.

February 1, 2002 Press Release by: Minister Louis Farrakhan Leader of The Nation of Islam

The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan today called for the release of Mr. Daniel Pearl, believed to be held in Pakistan.

"I wish to offer my sincere prayers and best wishes to my Muslim brothers and their families. May Allah grant you mercy and right guidance in this hour of greal trial. I urge the immediate release and safe return of Mr. Daniel Pearl. His release may serve the greater good and promote meaningful dialogue with the American people and government. Muslims are known for their compassion and mercy for the human family. Allah (God) revealed the Quran to the Holy Prophet (Peace Be Upon Him) to serve as a guide in every aspect of human endeavor. Allah teaches and instructs us in the handling of prisoners of war. Allah instructs and teaches us in the handling and treatment of non-combatants. Mr. Pearl is a journalist, is not a combatant, and should be released. Our religion, Islam, is under trial. The world is watching. To execute and murder this man will increase hatred for Islam and damage the reputation of Muslims throughout the world. I must also urge the American government to grant P.O.W. (Prisoners of War) status to those captured during a declared war. Once again, I employ America to re-examine her foreign policy toward Africa, the Middle East, and other vulnerable nations. The United States is the only remaining super power by Allah's (God's) permission. America must do more to reassure the family of nations of her determination to promote justice and fair play. The nations of the earth will follow America's leadership in establishing a century of security, prosperity and peace for all."

* * * * *

I hope it is not already too late. There are now some reports that Pearl has already been killed.