warmongering

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Wed Feb 6 15:17:16 PST 2002

> Washington Post - February 6, 2002
>
> War on Bush's Watch
> By Michael Kelly
>
> On Jan. 29, about midpoint through his State of the Union address,
> President George W. Bush gave modest (humble, he might say) notice
> that he intends to change the world.

Bullshit. Bush will not overthrow Saddam. He will not overthrow the Iranian regime. And he will not overthrow Kim Jong Il. The speech was purely for domestic consumption. There has been no change in US foreign policy.

Sept. 11 changed very little. It made the US public less queasy about overseas military adventures. (We'll see how long that lasts.) And it made "terrorism" a more important rationale for the US policies that were already in place. But it did not change the views of US allies. It didn't even cause the much-advertised realignment in US relations with Russia and China.

The "war on terrorism" was a war on Afghanistan. That's it. I hate to disappoint the likes of Michael Kelley.

Seth