Rumsfeld's blitzkrieg

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 05:07:14 PST 2002

Rumsfeld may not be as cute as he thinks he is.

Only transforming 5-10 per cent of their military machine may have helped the Nazis punch above their weight in sudden attacks, but arguably it left them hamstrung in retreat -- a fact I was reminded of last night by a TV programme on the Sherman tank.

These were outgunned and out-armoured by the German Tiger tank -- but when the Allies pinched off the exit from the Falaise pocket in August 1944, what struck the advancing troops were the enormous piles of dead horses mixed in with the wrecked guns, trucks, etc.

Trying to manage a retreat with transport with the great range of maximum speeds implied by horse-powered transport can't have helped the German cause.

Julian