Enron vs. S&Ls

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:23:46 PST 2002

Re LBO #99: "The Enron debacle is reminiscent of the savings and loan debacle of the 1980s,in that it was made possible by reckless experiments in deregulation — with a nice theoretical grounding provided by prestigious economists — compounded by private chicanery and incompetence. Then, as now, regulators, politicians, executives, consultants, pundits, accountants, lawyers, rating agencies, and the press cheered on as the bubble was inflating, and seemed shocked when it burst. The S&L mess should have inspired serious study of how we do economics and politics in the U.S.,but that never happened; we spent some $200 billion of public money on a bail- out with little debate and few consequences."

I would say Enron poses infinitely greater risk to the establishment than the S&L crisis ever did. It was easy to calm the public's worries and socialize the reckless losses of the S&Ls thanks to federal insurance of deposits, and the merry maids of the Resolution Trust Corporation were able to sweep the wreckage of the thrifts' chicanery under the carpet with no fuss. But there is no federal insurance that will make Enron's investors whole, and no way to provide meaningful relief to Enron employees et al. without setting a dangerous precedent for open-ended bailouts of all kinds. Since auditors obviously can't be trusted, there is widespread fear in the marketplace that there are many other Enron-type situtations waiting to be discovered. This crisis does not lend itself to swift, tidy resolution.

Carl