bad nooz for Dems

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 7 07:43:35 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>And yes, compared to the vast numbers of suburban officials whose idea of
>urban planning is preventing poor people from moving in, DeStephano's
>politics are ultraliberal. Back when I lived in Oakland, the majority of
>the city council were former members of Marxist organizations. It barely
>made a difference in how city policy effected peoples lives, because cities
>don't have the power to create the jobs and control many of the issues that
>most impact peoples lives.

Ok, so city governments are hopeless. The presidency is hopeless too, since the big money boys control that. The Senate is probably hopeless too, since it's reactionary by nature. So what's left? The House? Governorships? State legislatures? Don't you think that city councils are a good place to start, and build from there, even if they can't expropriate the expropriators?

Doug