polygamy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 19:50:16 PST 2002

>Mark Twain wrote an essay in which he theorized that men had
>a sexual capacity about 1/4 that of women, on the average
>(or I think it was 1/4; I read it a long time ago), so that
>a man with four wives would be wasting 15/16ths of their
>sexual capacity.

Yes, MT was certainly an unusual fellow for his times -- e.g., from his Letters From the Earth: "... the human being, like the immortals, naturally places sexual intercourse far and away above all other joys -- yet he has left it out of his heaven! The very thought of it excites him; opportunity sets him wild; in this state he will risk life, reputation, everything -- even his queer heaven itself -- to make good that opportunity and ride it to the overwhelming climax. From youth to middle age all men and all women prize copulation above all other pleasures combined, yet it is actually as I have said: it is not in their heaven; prayer takes its place."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx