Heisenberg's uncertainty finally resolved

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Feb 8 08:03:52 PST 2002

Hakki Alacakaptan wrote:

> A letter by Niels Bohr made public in the wake of discussions

> surrounding Michael Frayn's play "Copenhagen" has made it possible

> to nail down Heisenberg's position and velocity at last, and it

> turns out that his position was squarely in the Nazi camp, but he

> was very slow. The Nazis paid for the germanification of their

> science and promoting racially correct dullards like Heisenberg by

> being deprived of the A-bomb. I always say fascists can't think

> straight. Bohr's letter leaves no doubt as to why his former

> student came to visit him in Copenhagen: The Fuhrer wanted his bomb

> and Werner didn't have a clue how to make it. Otherwise, London

> would have been toast. Still, Heisenberg's student Edward Teller

> compensated somewhat for his mentor's lack of explosive force by

> inventing the H-bomb and the neutron bomb.

hakki,

i posted y'day a link to the actual letters themselves from the bohr archive. i do not see, from a reading of the letters, how the controversy is any further resolved than before. bohr says that H was quite certain of a nazi victory, H hinted at a german A-bomb project and mentioned that no details need be discussed since he was aware of them (the details), and that H felt that bohr and co., should be more receptive to the german govt. the last could well reflect H's concern for bohr and the first points seem in fact to hold up H's version of the story: that he was not looking for details on the allies' bomb effort but interested in passing on information. after a reading of the letters we are once again left with bohr's previously stated impression that H was gung-ho about the german A-bomb project, but nothing a lot more substantial. the one significant piece of evidence against H is weizsacker's [sp?] supposed words at a dinner party (or some such) that german victory was assured and that H would play a large part in it.

i think the gratuitous shots at H's theoretical capabilities are misplaced. he seems to have gained universal respect among his peers.

the relevant portions from the bohr archive:

http://www.nbi.dk/NBA/papers/docs/d01tra.htm

http://www.nbi.dk/NBA/papers/docs/d06tra.htm

> During a conversation with Bohr, Heisenberg stated that he was working

> on the release of atomic energy and expressed his conviction that

> the war, if it did not end with a German victory, would be decided

> by such means. Heisenberg said explicitly that he did not wish to

> enter into technical details but that Bohr should understand that

> he knew what he was talking about as he had spent 2 years working

> exclusively on this question. Bohr restrained himself from any

> comment but understood that this was important information which he

> was obliged to try to bring to the attention of the English.

here's the damning part:

http://www.nbi.dk/NBA/papers/docs/d07tra.htm

http://www.nbi.dk/NBA/papers/docs/d10tra.htm

http://www.nbi.dk/NBA/papers/docs/d11atra.htm

> However, what I am thinking of in particular is the conversation we

> had in my office at the Institute, during which, because of the

> subject you raised, I carefully fixed in my mind every word that

> was uttered. It had to make a very strong impression on me that at

> the very outset you stated that you felt certain that the war, if

> it lasted sufficiently long, would be decided with atomic weapons.

> I had at that time no knowledge at all of the preparations that

> were under way in England and America. You added, when I perhaps

> looked doubtful, that I had to understand that in recent years you

> had occupied yourself almost exclusively with this question and did

> not doubt that it could be done. It is therefore quite

> incomprehensible to me that you should think that you hinted to me

> that the German physicists would do all they could to prevent such

> an application of atomic science. During the conversation, which

> was only very brief, I was naturally very cautious but nevertheless

> thought a lot about its content, and my alarm was not lessened by

> hearing from the others at the Institute that Weizsäcker had stated

> how fortunate it would be for the position of science in Germany

> after the victory that you could help so significantly towards this

> end.

> In your letter to Jungk you also mention Jensen’s visits to

> Copenhagen in 1943 during his journeys to Norway to participate in

> the efforts to increase the production of heavy water. It is true

> that Jensen emphasized to us that this work was only aimed at the

> production of energy for industrial purposes, but although we were

> inclined to trust his sincerity, we felt in no way certain

> regarding how much he himself knew about the whole effort in

> Germany.

--ravi