lbo-talk-digest V1 #5659

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 8 11:36:23 PST 2002

Daniel Davies wrote:

>Oh Christ. Chuck, mate, what I was hoping to see here was an outright,
>outraged denial that anyone you knew ever "twinkled". If anything like the
>hand gestures described above actually take place, this movement is never
>going to be taken seriously. In the name of sanity, stop the twinkling.

Tony Mazzocchi, the 70-something founder of the Labor Party, spoke at a green gathering last year, and there was much twinkling in response to his speech. Afterwards, Mazzocchi asked, "What the fuck were those kids doing with their hands in the air?" To which there's no good answer, really. Is applause perceived as violent? Do greens aspire to resemble trees in a gentle breeze?

Doug