Branding Ghandi

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Fri Feb 8 13:39:00 PST 2002

< http://www.timesofindia.com > Mahatma Gandhi gets brand name protection AFP [ FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 08, 2002 1:14:47 PM ]

NEW DELHI: Mahatma Gandhi has joined Princess Diana and Malcolm X in having his image protected and marketed by US-based CMG Worldwide, whose roster of deceased celebrities also includes James Dean and Marilyn Monroe.

Tushar Gandhi, the great grandson of Mahatma Gandhi, said on Friday that henceforth any company seeking to use the image of India's prophet of non-violence would need permission from CMG.

"I do not want his name or image to be used irreverently, such as on a meat product or lingerie," Tushar Gandhi, the managing trustee of the Gandhi Foundation, said.

Tushar said he had only become aware of such possible misuse when CMG called him last week.

"I have stipulated that for any usage of his image, the final design and where and how it is going to be used will have to be shown to me for commercial purposes. I will not charge for the use of non-commercial purposes."

Tushar said funds received through CMG would go to the Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, with one of the first priorities the restoration of the family home of Mahatma Gandhi's wife Kasturba in the western Indian town of Porbandar.

"I am already out with a begging bowl for restoring Kasturba Gandhi's house in Porbandar (in Gujarat). It is in very bad shape," he said.

Tushar Gandhi estimated the cost of the project at 10 million rupees ($210,000) as the house will be converted into a museum.

Some money will also to be used to build a water dam in a village in the Kutch desert region of Gujarat -- Gandhi's home state.