Discernibly "Turgid" Penises outlawed

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Feb 8 14:11:04 PST 2002

Even the Baby Jesus erect (not covered) with St. Anne seeming to stroke him. There's a long scholarly article on this someplace, perhaps Critical Inquiry. If I recall correctly, the article argued that the convention was meant to emphasize the Incarnation by emphasizing the body, and what better way to emphasize body than an erection. Milton wrote a sonnet on the circumcision of Jesus.

Carrool