Polyandry

Thiago Oppermann topp8564 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Fri Feb 8 21:34:23 PST 2002

A lot of people here have mentioned that polygyny can be a form of exploitation of women. The point is well taken in many historical cases, but it is not universal. There are instances of polygyny affording a measure of protection to women within patriarchal societies - the wives gang up, and woe to the husband that pisses them off... Severe exploitation is, in my opinion, correlated to the degree to which women are excluded from public life - which means that there are other factors at work, for instance, whether the married couple/triple/whatever moves to a new location upon marriage, or whether the wives all move to the husband's village, or whether the husband moves to the first wife's village, etc...

Actually existing polyandry is also not much of a model for women's liberation. Unfortunately, it does not appear to have much to do with fulfilling women's sexual appetites (although I should note my sources on these are English ethnographers who may not have been paying attention). For example, the classic sociological explanation of Sri Lankan polyandry by Leach is that it occurs where brothers and sisters both inherit property and where the brothers have joint ownership of land. To resolve the problem of land fragmentation, the brothers marry the same woman. If I recall it right, the arrangements in Sri Lanka don't make the woman a female Sultan, and the brothers retain control over the property. As far as I know, polyandry of this 'fraternal' variety is the most common kind.

Thiago Oppermann