Tapestry Against Polygamy Re: polygamy and homosexuality

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 9 10:08:52 PST 2002

>The problem with many forms of polygamy is that in fact it's
>polygyny based on women being assigned an inferior status (and
>thus are not really consenting).
>
>-- Gordon

There is a group called Tapestry Against Polygamy: <http://www.polygamy.org/>.

***** Dear Media Friends:

Welcome to Utah: Home to the Polygamists

More than 100,000 people practice polygamy in the United States but it is particularly concentrated in the western states, especially Utah, where this illegal practice is increasing each day.

In the Spring of 1998 TAP brought worldwide attention to the horrific abuses that occur within these secret polygamous societies such as incest, statutory rape, underage marriage, welfare fraud, tax evasion, lack of education, trafficking of minors across boarders for the purpose of sex, medical neglect, and extreme forms of domestic abuse & mental torture.

The Mormon fundamentalist tradition has been interwoven into Utah's culture for so long that today it is being protected by the ACLU, local NOW, and much of the state of Utah as a religious freedom without any regard for the polygamous women and children whose human rights are being violated. Today Utah's state government still refuses to take any preventative or pro-active measures to rid Utah of polygamy.

As a State and as a Nation, we must not forget the tens of thousands of polygamous children and adults who are being coerced into this Taliban way of life.

"What is Tapestry Against Polygamy doing during the Olympics to help?"

Although our organization respects the confidentiality of those we serve, on January 20th we will make a contact list available of those escaped former polygamists who would like to speak to the media during the Olympics.

On February 6th at 10:00am, Tapestry Against Polygamy will hold a press conference outside on the south side of Utah's state capitol. Press packages will be made available at the press conference along with Tapestry t-shirts and sweatshirts. We look forward to seeing you there.

Our website is being continually updated for the Olympics so stay cyber-tuned at www.polygamy.org .

Sincerely,

Tapestry Against Polygamy Staff

Media Contacts:

Tapestry Office (801) 364-6764 Hotline (801) 259-5200 Vicky Prunty (801) 205-6506 Rowenna Erickson (801) 259-5200 <http://www.polygamy.org/media.shtml> *****

Cf. James Brooke, "Utah Struggles With a Revival of Polygamy," NYT 23 August 1998, <http://www.ishipress.com/utah-pol.htm>; "Utah Polygamist Found Guilty," CNN.com, 19 May 2001, <http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/05/19/utah.polygamy/>. -- Yoshie