Twinkling

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Sat Feb 9 07:44:59 PST 2002

I agree with Nathan that a lot of the hippy-dippy stuff against rules of procedure, etc., is just a covert way of giving power to the overbearing and privileged.

I don't agree that informal expressions of approval from the audience are oppressive of minorities, in organising meetings or anywhere else -- or at any rate, no more oppressive than the fact of being in a minority is anyway.

If you're organising, you want to get good ideas promoted as quickly and painlessly as possible (and bad ideas squashed; what's the inverse of twinkling, if there is one?)

Julian