Einstein's indeterminacy

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk
Sat Feb 9 05:29:52 PST 2002

Hakki wrote:

>Now some speculation: Did Einstein object to indeterminacy
>because he was
>just being stubborn or because he knew Heisenberg was a Nazi?
>After all,
>Einstein did give up the universal constant when a Vatican
>physicist sold
>him on the big bang, so he couldn't have been that pigheaded.

I've always thought Einstein's "God doesn't play dice with the universe" angle was his greatest mistake. But I'd like to think that his physical judgments were arrived at for physical reasons, not because of the ideology held by proponents of alternative physical theories.

Presumably he didn't switch to the big bang because he'd been converted to Roman Catholicism?

Julian