Discernibly "Turgid" Penises outlawed

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:51:02 PST 2002

>So under that dumb blonde exterior, Mae West knew her classics! Ah, the

> irony of the paraphrase: Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy

> to see me?

Neither Mae West nor most of the characters she played had a dumb blonde exterior. More of a "smart" blonde exterior - tough, wise-cracking, agressive.

Other classic lines:

Would be lover -- "Ah those shoulders, those lips, those eyes..."

Mae West - "Are you making love, or taking an inventory?"

... Naive galpal "Goodness, where did you get those diamonds?" Mae West "Goodness had nothing to do with it."

....;

Mae: "When I'm good, I'm very, very good. And when I'm bad, I'm better!"

I've always thought that the character Mae West created was an exception

in American sexual fantasy - a sexually agressive woman who was neither a victim or a villain. I'll bet somewhere there is a really good feminist analysis of Mae.