Cooper on PA

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Sat Feb 9 15:03:12 PST 2002

Anybody could write something criticizing the "entire left" (which consists of what, by the way?). Plenty of lefts might criticize Chomsky too. One could, for instance, question whether Hitchens has 'defected,' since he has yet to repudiate his former work (as Horowitz clearly has), and since he continues to elevate such subversive themes as Henry Kissinger as war criminal. You said Cooper would be writing for Horowitz's magazine, but I bet you wouldn't uphold that as the criterion. He might end up taking a 'straight' job with a commercial outlet, but that doesn't mean much either. We all have to eat.

Bottom line is you probably realize he is unlikely to strike a pose of absolute forsaking the left and becoming his opposite, like Horowitz or that dreadful Marvin Olasky. But unless you're willing to put your money on an explicit act like this, you're just hyperventilating.

mbs

I'll take the bet, but I think we will have difficulty agreeing on the definition of "defection." This could take a year or several years. He's starting to move in that direction with the cheap Chomsky bashing and the swipe at Indymedia (which get more hits than The Nation website). Perhaps the thing that will push him over will be his realization later this year that the rest of the left sees him as a traitor, for want of a better word. What will he do when he loses his paying gig at Pacifica? We all know how politics works. He backed the wrong horse in the revolution. He has to pack and move out of the palace.

Definition? Perhaps a clear article that attacks not just an element on the left, but the entire "left."

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"Chuck Munson isn't like other protestors."

-- CTV