Heisenberg's uncertainty finally resolved

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 19:38:03 PST 2002

>I agree that Heisenberg's contribution to quantum theory is cool and all
>(though I have my suspicion that Bohr had a lot to do with it)

I don't understand the relentless attempt to downgrade Heisenberg's scientific genius. All those guys collaberated and bounced ideas off each other. H had a lot to do with Bohr's work too. And "cool" trivilaizes his immortal contributions.

but the guy
>was a fascist dirtbag and his scientific work after Bohr was gone was
>second
>rate.

Most great physicists do their great work before they are 30. Einstein never did anything worth thinking about after GR.

He should have shared a cell with Speer instead of being rewarded with
>the appointment to the Max Planck Institute.

Speer ran Hitler's military-industrial establishment. Heiseinberg--at worst-- worked on an underfunded bomb project that wasn't going anywhere. The level of culpability is not remorely comprabale/

H was not a fascist. He was a right wing German nationalist who collaboratedw ith the Nazis, like a lot of the German General Staff.

Lots of great scientists have bad politics and were bad people. Newton was a nutcase and a sadist who, as Master of the Mint, participated in the torture of counterfieters ("coiners"); Lavoisier was a hated tax farmer who was guillotined for his oppression. That doesn't affect their science.

jks