The Panic Spreads

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Sat Feb 9 21:50:45 PST 2002

Another thing to think about when grappling with Japan's 'lost' decade vs. US's new economy. I believe if you start back far enough (11 years?) and track growth in overall GDP you see stagnant Japan has virtually tied the vibrant, productive US. The only areas where the two economies consistently diverge is the value of their currency and the capitalization of their stock markets (even before the recent fall below 10,000 for the Nikkei, the UK's stock market cap. was twice Japan's!).

The US likes a cheap dollar versus the yen because, why? Well, because not only does it make Japanese exports to the US expensive (especially vs. exports from China, Korea, Taiwan, many owned or at least marketed by US companies). But it also wipes out the value of the money the US owes the Japanese--think about the soaking the Japanese have taken on US bonds because of a constantly devaluing dollar.

It's Sunday, which always gets me thinking of new ways to relate terms.

Enron executives=Ponzis with MBAs.

Charles Jannuzi