Was boom a dream?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 22:11:58 PST 2002

>... if broad numbers of people come to believe that all the
>numbers are a crock, and the game is rigged, then we could be talking
>about a real long-term shift away from stocks, like the one after
>1929. I've got two market laws in mind - one, that they overreact,
>and two, that trends can last longer than anyone expects.
>
>Doug

I was just cleaning up some correspondence files and ran across a letter I received twelve years ago, dated Feb. 1, 1990, from Christopher (_The Culture of Narcissism_) Lasch. Lasch said: "... it's going to take a jolt to bring this country to its senses, or a semblance thereof. Last night's State of the Union scene was just one more sign of the times. Bush thinks he's on top of the world, and his audience, euphoric about the final and ultimate triumph of capitalism worldwide, applauded every platitude with growing fervor. These people are about as far removed from the daily concerns of most Americans as Mars."

Lasch is now dead, and there's another Bush in the White House, but maybe Enron will finally give the nation that needed jolt and a growing awareness that the ruling elite's priorities are quite different from most Americans'.

Carl