Challenging compulsory patriotism -- on prime time!

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sun Feb 10 15:29:49 PST 2002

Chris Kromm wrote:

> Not sure how many of you watched the NBA All Star game tonight, but a
> remarkable thing happened. R&B singers Alicia Keyes and Angie Stone were
> slated to sing "America the Beautiful" before the game. They started into
> the song, but after about 6 bars, immediately shifted to singing "Lift Every
> Voice and Sing," otherwise known as the Black National Anthem, written by
> poet and civil rights leader James Weldon Johnson.
>
> After finishing that, they did go back to "American The Beautiful," but
> changed the final chorus to: "America/And EVERYONE/God shed his grace on
> thee."

I'm listening to the game and heard the opening ceremonies. It's almost like the organizers of big sporting events can't understand that less is more.

I fucking detest the national anthem, but Patti Labelle was a great choice to sing it tonight. They then totally screwed up. Instead of going from her lovely voice to the lineups, they had to have something from Elton John.

Elton John? Wasn't that song popular 25 years ago?

Overkill.

I was wondering what was the deal with that other song.

The NBA All Star game is the best of all the sports. But the current ones aren't as good as the ones back in the 80s.

Wish I had a TV right now.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"Chuck Munson isn't like other protestors."

-- CTV