Robeson & the USSR

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 01:43:53 PST 2002

>The Soviet National Anthem is back...it is the National Anthem of Russia,
>with new words.

And, blissfully, the new words are written by the same poet who wrote the original verse in 1943, Sergei Mikhalkov (b.1913).

I think it's his _fourth_ set of words for the same tune: after writing the original words, there was a new verse to get a mention of Stalin added a little later, then they were replaced with new words which didn't mention Stalin but which had good things to say about Lenin; and the new words don't celebrate communism at all but nod in the direction of God, the flag, the size of the country, etc.

But it's a fine tune, and it's good to have it back.

Old words:

Unbreakable Union of freeborn Republics, Great Russia has welded forever to stand. Created in struggle by will of the people, United and mighty, our Soviet land!

etc.

New words

Russia, our holy country! Russia, our beloved country! A mighty will, a great glory, Are your inheritance for all time!

Be glorious, our free Fatherland! Eternal union of fraternal peoples, Common wisdom given by our forebears, Be glorious, our country! We are proud of you!

etc.

Chris --

Phone: +44 (0) 1865-286793 Email: <chris.brooke at magd.ox.ac.uk> Web: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1368 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020211/da29ba4d/attachment.htm>