Robeson and the USSR

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Feb 11 03:19:57 PST 2002

I was here in Russia during the whole controversy over bringing back the Soviet Anthem. That was when I lost whatever dregs of respect I still had left for the liberal Russian intelligentsia. You don't nreath a word while millions of your fellow citizens drop into poverty, and then what do you get worked up about? A cultural symbol! Scumbags. They won't be happy until the country is reduced to a little province of Western Europe and they can go be toasted in Geneva as great fighters for democracy.

Not only is it a great tune, its adoption is a sign of the cultural reconciliation that Russia desperately needs. Things like this get lambasted a lot in the West (creeping Stalinism! Oh no!) but they are considered very precious by millions of people in Russia who don't want to feel that three generations of their country's history were a total waste. The same goes for attempts to revive a modified and voluntary version of the Young Pioneers and, partially, for the proposed return of the name Stalingrad to Volgograd (mostly in honor of the Battle of Stalingrad, not Uncle Joe).

BTW, if anyone wants a good laugh, plus a reminder of what bullshit the mainstream media are, check out Time Magazine's.1943 Man of the Year piece on Stalin.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ---------------------------

Chris Brooke wrote:

>The Soviet National Anthem is back...it is the National Anthem of Russia,
>with new words.

And, blissfully, the new words are written by the same poet who wrote the original verse in 1943, Sergei Mikhalkov (b.1913).

I think it's his _fourth_ set of words for the same tune: after writing the original words, there was a new verse to get a mention of Stalin added a little later, then they were replaced with new words which didn't mention Stalin but which had good things to say about Lenin; and the new words don't celebrate communism at all but nod in the direction of God, the flag, the size of the country, etc.

But it's a fine tune, and it's good to have it back.