polygamy

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Feb 11 14:16:17 PST 2002

At 01:04 PM 2/11/02 -0800, joanna bujes wrote:
>At 03:54 PM 02/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>the problem is, you went into a rant about american men, sexuality, and
>>objectification, in an attempt to do what i'm not certain.
>
>Well, I was trying to suggest how, in an "advanced" culture like ours, the
>objectification of women continues....only in other guises. I mean, it's
>fairly easy to see how women are abused under Islam; harder to see, when
>looking at our own situation.
>
>Judging from a lot of the links, including yours, I didn't do a very good job.
>
>Joanna

i just didn't see a connection between men's supposed inability to see that luminescent glow and how women are oppressed in our culture. and, given that lesbians and bis see the luminescent glow and still objectify women during sex and at other times, i really don't see the connection.

i also don't see how men don't have it, this glow. i also don't know any men that don't enjoy gourmet lovemaking all night long. they're the exception to the rule, IME. most men i know feel a tremendous amount of pressure to be allnight long studs. in fact, i think a lot of men feel they have to make you have an orgasm or they're a failure. and not only that, it has to be that holy same time!

and, i have to say that, although i understand what you're talking about re the larger objectification issue, i do think men very much enjoy the things you're talking about wrt sex. i've never met one that hasn't in my personal experience, or just talking with them as friends.

and, aside from that, don't you ever objectify someone. i was talking about this with a friend the other night. but then i think of the times when i do the same. TMI file!

what gets men, i think, is that they want to individualize it and they don't like looking at this in terms of something larger than themselves. they would also, as leftists, like to be patted on the back for some progress---which is annoying as all get out sometimes---but there it is: they want to be recognized for having made some progress, for being better than dad and gramps. i mean, jeez joanna, when i was a little kid, i remember reading it was, on average, 15 minutes. consider the progress we've made in two decades! :)))))

men think women withhold sex, as WDK apparently does. but they don't want to ask why we might, in spite of our own desires. Well! how about good old fashioned experience: like being told point blank by male friends and co workers that, if you sleep with him, you're a slut; if you give him your number, you're a bitch. well, damned if you don't; damned if you do. which is what marilyn frye calls oppression.

i suppose its the same thing as i was on about a while ago. if i'm a privileged white woman, then i have to listen with an open heart and mind to the crits of how i participate in racism. i shouldn't expect anyone to pat me on the back for being a good leftist anti racist and kick and scream because they didn't stroke me first before saying, "but...."

i don't think men should be any different. it's their job to listen with open hearts and minds. that doesn't mean sucking my or your ass, just arguing with us rationally. i'm just astounded that this isn't the first time i've heard this nonsense here. you were talking about how men objectify and then someone comes along and does it, puts the pressure on other men to put notches on their belt in order to prove they're real men.

kelley