Fascism anyone?

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 18:09:35 PST 2002

Posted on Tue, Feb. 12, 2002

STUDENT PATRIOTISM The Associated Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/2651092.htm

Happenings at the Minnesota Capitol:

A House panel unanimously endorsed a bill Tuesday that would require public school students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at least once a week.

"The events of September 11th, 2001, left no doubt that the values we hold in this country are not universally accepted," said Rep. George Cassell, R-Alexandria, the bill's sponsor. "I think it's time we put patriotism back in the curriculum."

The measure would allow local school boards to opt out of the requirement annually, and individual students or teachers who objected to reciting the pledge wouldn't be required to do it.

Also included in the bill is a provision that would require public schools to teach proper flag etiquette unless a local school board votes annually to waive the requirement. Those lessons would be recommended for fifth-graders.

The bill now goes to the House floor. A similar bill on the Senate side is languishing in an education committee.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com