Is Star Wars (the movie) Reactionary?

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 22:26:48 PST 2002

--- Vikash Yadav <vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu> wrote:

> As for George Lucas, I think he does believe in a
> liberal enlightenment
> conception of freedom.

That may very well be, but nonetheless, as I said, he did reveal the source of his inspiration at the time as being Campbell/Jung, whose ideas are, well, anti-enlightenment in a very strong way. Of course, he is probably eclectic and just borrows bits and pieces from the jungian pantheon of archetypes. But even the idea "the force" has a touch of jung in it (collective unconscious). The "heros path" taken from Campbell/Jung does not necessarily dismiss all human agency. Basically the idea is that until you intergrate these psychic forces (shadow, anima, etc) you are enslaved by them. Freedom is realized by integrating these structures.

> Lucas'
> final film project at
> UCLA, "THX 1138 - The Electronic Labyrinth" (later
> made into a major motion
> picture), was strongly influenced by Godard's
> "Alphaville".

I didn't know that. Alphaville is one of my favorite Sci-Fi films...the monotonous french voice of the computer still gives me the creeps. Alphaville is right up there with Solaris.

-Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx