Osama lottery

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Feb 13 12:06:28 PST 2002

Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>>> Take that, Osama bin Laden

Doug:
> >Fuck, when is this going to stop, this torrent of righteousness,
> >bombast, hucksterism, bellicosity, and self-pity? It makes me want to
> >scream.

joanna bujes:
> Not for a while, I don't think. Haven't we always been at war with Oceania?
> Nowadays, I reassure myself with the tought that my parents lived through
> the depression AND WWII. I was telling my best friend that, and she said
> "Yeah, but they were young at the time."
>
> It looks bad for us and I don't know about you, but I'm no spring chicken.

I think it's worse to be young in bad times. Much better to do youth in fat times, when you can take advantage of them, than middle age, when you have to work, work, work, or old age, when you have to envy the young.

But I don't remember when we didn't have a torrent of righteousness, bombast, hucksterism, bellicosity, and self-pity, as well as sanctimony, sentimentality, tribal fetishism and the worship of moronic simple-mindedness. When was that?

-- Gordon