D.H. Lawrence, _Women in Love_ Re: polygamy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Feb 14 07:41:38 PST 2002

>If the some of the guys touting this stuff are really
>having sex that sucks this bad, perhaps you should get
>out and do a little vigorous exercise, see a sex
>counselor, read a DH Lawrence novel, drink deer antler
>tea or something to improve your sex life. In any
>case, I find it equally silly that you project your
>experiences out onto all men.
>
>-Thomas

I doubt, though, that D. H. Lawrence novels serve to improve hetero sex lives.

From _Women in Love_:

***** `Did you need Gerald?' she asked one evening.

`Yes,' he said.

`Aren't I enough for you?' she asked.

`No,' he said. `You are enough for me, as far as a woman is concerned. You are all women to me. But I wanted a man friend, as eternal as you and I are eternal.'

`Why aren't I enough?' she said. `You are enough for me. I don't want anybody else but you. Why isn't it the same with you?'

`Having you, I can live all my life without anybody else, any other sheer intimacy. But to make it complete, really happy, I wanted eternal union with a man too: another kind of love,' he said.

`I don't believe it,' she said. `It's an obstinacy, a theory, a perversity.'

`Well --' he said.

`You can't have two kinds of love. Why should you!'

It seems as if I can't,' he said. `Yet I wanted it.'

`You can't have it, because it's false, impossible,' she said.

`I don't believe that,' he answered. *****

The end of the novel.

I recommend a vigorous exercise instead. :-> -- Yoshie