polygamy

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Feb 14 08:56:27 PST 2002

W. Kiernan:
> ... For Christ's sake, given a choice between night
> after night of deliriously sensual loving abandon in the arms of a lover
> he truly loves who truly loves him in return, and "acting like a boy" or
> "experiencing women as passive objects" or some other tenth-rate
> compensation, do you, does she, think _any_ sane man prefers the
> second? But practically everybody all the time, they, we, men, women,
> don't get the choice. Who gives a damn anyway whether a woman's
> capacity for gratification is a fourth that of a man's, as the hadiths
> have it, or four times a man's, as Twain has it, if a man is getting a
> hundredth of the love he yearns, does it matter whether his
> corresponding woman is getting a twenty-fifth or instead a four
> hundredth? The whole thing's a disaster; everybody's fuckin' starving!

As I noted before, though, if people are really interested in sex, romance, love and so forth, as they often profess, it's hard to explain why they behave as they do. Just as one example, you'd think there'd be tremendous pressure to reduce the length of the work week, for obvious reasons. If people are starving, it's because they scorch the earth.

And here it is St. Valentine's Day.

-- Gordon