jude or jewed?

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Feb 14 09:07:15 PST 2002

i recall doug's having posted the material referred to, here, but if there's been follow-up i apologize for having missed it . . .

http://www.prospect.org/print/V13/5/devil1.html

Lunatic League Formed

Time was when Jude Wanniski was the reigning prophet of supply-side economics -- the guru of Wall Street Journal editor Robert Bartley and all those who believed that the benefits of cutting taxes exceeded any need for either an active government or a balanced budget. Over the past several years, however, Jude had grown steadily more obscure (supply-side economics was always pretty obscure) as the economic debate passed him by. Imagine our surprise, then, when we received an e-mail from him early this month releasing a letter that Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan had sent, at Wanniski's suggestion, to President Bush. "I believe Min. Farrakhan is the most important Muslim leader in the world," Wanniski wrote, "who can best represent the concerns of the Islamic world to our government."

This led to a somewhat tart e-mail exchange between Wanniski and one of our editors, in the course of which -- quite unsolicited -- Wanniski brought us up to date on how he spends his days. "Min. Farrakhan told me three or four years ago that God had sent me to teach him how to speak to white people. He no longer refers to Jews as Jews, but is careful to call them 'Jewish people.' He also must not refer to Zionists as Zionists, as it might be inferred he is anti-Semitic."

Wanniski's duties go far beyond playing Henry Higgins to Farrakhan's Eliza. "I've spend countless hours with him," Wanniski continued, "explaining why it was Keynesianism and Monetarism that made life so difficult for black folks, that there was no conspiracy. I told him this morning that no one had yet come forward with proof that he ever said, 'Judaism is a gutter religion,' or 'dirty religion,' as I have an outstanding offer of $1000 to anyone who can."

Well, that sure clears things up! But we do want to know: Did Farrakhan seek out Wanniski because he thought Jude was a past-tense verb?