Milos's last stand

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Thu Feb 14 11:03:18 PST 2002

I was awed by Milos's epic performance today, punctuated with lethal blows against the complacent prosecution, which acted like there was no separatist guerilla in Kosovo prior to the Serb attack, that NATO did not act as the guerillas' air support with copious "collateral damage" as in Afghanistan, and that Kosovo had somehow become a separate state. "How dare you speak of the border between Kosovo and Serbia," said Milos, "Kosovo _is_ Serbia". Under UN SC Resolution 1244 of 1999, Kosovo remains a Serbian province and its current protectorate status is strictly de facto. The prosecution must be singularly feeble to think Milos would somehow overlook that.

My awe turned to disgust when I looked at how underreported Milos's defence was in the Press. Many of the stories are supposed to be about Milos's speech but they manage to cram the 4 hours into 2-3 paragraphs and devote the rest to what the judge or the prosecutor said. Amazingly, the Russian press, which I though would carry a fuller report, seems to have given it a total pass.

Milos was undoubtedly a mass murderer but his defence is on a par with Castro's - what he lacks in Castro's humanism, he compensates with his superior logic. Pointing out that the prosecution showed that there was widespread support for Serb actions in Bosnia and Kosovo, Milos said "Our citizens stand accused, citizens who lent their massive support to me (...) My conduct was an expression of the will of the people."

That's what I call going down in a blaze of glory, a fighting Serb to the end.

I trust LBO'ers can spot the nuance between buying the Jared Israel line and admiring the flawed but brilliant mind and courage of a criminal.

Hakki