RES: right to left

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Thu Feb 14 16:17:02 PST 2002

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Heer, Jeet Enviada em: quinta-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2002 18:31 Para: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' Assunto: right to left

Doug, re: twinkling It's sort of interesing that you moved from right to left. The usual pattern, seen from numerous communists who ended up as neo-cons, is to go from left to right. So your like the anti-Sidney Hook/Norman Podhoretz/Irving Kristol. There were a group of smart National Reviewers in the 1960s who moved to the left: Garry Wills, Joan Dideon, John Leonard, and (a bit eccentrically) Guy Davenport. Are there any other cases of people going from right to left?

-In my country I know three persons who were integralists (our local version -of fascism) in the 30´s and then turned to left. D. Hélder Câmara, former -Archbishop of Recife from 60-80´s, one of the most important priests from -the left wing of Catholic church in Brazil, Alceu de Amoroso Lima, a -progressive catholic intelecual and Santiago Dantas, a center left politician -in the 60´s.

Alexandre Fenelon