Christian anti-semitism & Replacement Theology

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 09:19:00 PST 2002

Next stage in zionist propoghanda, or has this argument been used for a while now? Spectator's right wing magazine, owned by Conrad Black.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/article.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-02-16&id=1580

What the hell is Replacement Theology, though? I've never heard of it.

And this:

"The catalyst for its re-emergence has been the attempt by Arab Christians to reinterpret Scripture in order to delegitimise the Jews’ claim to the land of Israel. This has had a powerful effect upon the Churches which, through humanitarian work among the Palestinians by agencies such as Christian Aid, have been profoundly influenced by two clerics in particular.

The first is the Anglican Bishop of Jerusalem, Riah Abu El-Assal, a Palestinian who is intemperate in his attacks on Israel. ‘We interviewed Bishop Riah after some terrorist outrage in Israel,’ says Colin Blakely, ‘and his line was that it was all the fault of the Jews. I was astounded.’

The bishop also has an astounding interpretation of the Old Testament. Last December, he claimed of Palestinian Christians, ‘We are the true Israel ...no one can deny me the right to inherit the promises, and after all the promises were first given to Abraham and Abraham is never spoken of in the Bible as a Jew.... He is the father of the faithful.’

The second cleric, Father Naim Ateek, is more subtle and highly influential. Although he says that he has come to accept Israel’s existence, his brand of radical liberation theology undermines it by attempting to sever the special link between God and the Jews.

In a lecture last year Andrew White observed that Palestinian politics and Christian theology had become inextricably intertwined. The Palestinians were viewed as oppressed and the Church had to fight their oppressor. ‘Who is the oppressor? The state of Israel. Who is Israel? The Jews. It is they therefore who must be put under pressure so that the oppressed may one day be set free to enter their “Promised Land” which is being denied to them.’"

Ho hum.