The New Nazism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Feb 15 11:12:11 PST 2002

Hi,

OK, how about starting with the simple logical fallacy test:

Fascism is bad

Government Repression is bad

therefore

Government Repression = Fascism

Unless we can agree that this is not a valid argument, there is no point in having a further discussion.

:-)

It is similar to the equally ridiculous:

Capitalism is bad

Fascism is bad

Capitalism = Fascism

proposed by the Dimitrov-huggers.

Another step is agreeing that not all forms of fascism are Nazism or neonazism.

Fascism comes in three flavors:

1) Italian corporatism 2) German "master race" Nazism 3) Clerical fascism

Another question is if there is a difference between ethnonationalist discrimination and genocide.

Another question is if there is a difference between fascism social/political movmeents and fascist state power.

Only by overcooking all of this into an undifferentiated hyperbolic rhetorical gruel can the question be asked:

Is the United States the New Nazism?

Now if you want to step back from wretched rhetoric excess and have a discussion about how terrible and alarming is the wave of government repression, I will probably agree with you completely, even down to the echoes of fascism.

However if you want to assert there is no difference between 1930's Germany and 2002 in the US, then what's the point? Surely you can find as many books as I can discussing recent research on fascism, or noting the differences between repressive capitalist "democracy," right-wing military dictatorships, left-wing Stalinist purges, and the Nazi genocide.

Which brings us back to the first point: Just becasue it is bad, doesn't make it Nazism.

The political repression of people perceived to be Arab and/or Muslim is terrible and we all need to oppose it. This opposition is not assisted by claiming we live in a police state or are on the verge of Nazi-style genocide.

-Chip