right to left

Heer, Jeet JHeer at nationalpost.com
Fri Feb 15 12:59:55 PST 2002

I haven't heard the story about the pro-Nixon ad. Davenport was a very frequent contributor to National Review from the late 1950s to around 1970. He pretty much had a book review in every issue of NR during the 1960s. From various comments he's made in essays and interviews, I gather that he was attracted to NR largely out of friendship with Hugh Kenner, who was their poetry editor, and later William F. Buckley. Also Davenport is a bit of a southern tory of the older sort (anti-commerical culture). But the Vietnam war seems to have disillusioned him with politics. Also, I imagine it must have been hard to write about modern literature for National Review. Judis's biography of WF Buckley has an amusing anecdote about this. Once in the early 1960s, Kenner managed to convince William Carlos Williams to publish a poem in NR. Kenner was, of course, delighted by this coup untill letters started to pour in from readers upset that NR had soiled its pages with such a lefty writer. (Williams had signed some fellow travelling petitions in the 1930s). "National Review has some of the stupidest readers in the world," was Kenners judgement on this incident, if I remember correctly. Best, Jeet