frogs/princesses

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Feb 15 14:23:03 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> All human life is a biological phenomenon, Luke. That and $3.75 will buy you
> a cuppa cappaccino. Love is a social phenomenon, among other things--it's a
> relationship between people. jks

Don't know 'bout that--I've always thought that reciprocity of affection is vastly overrated :) (BTW, have you ever read Frankfurt's essay on self-love?)

In any event, my reply was only meant to demonstrate that reducing any phenomenon to "mere" biology (or physics etc.) is not to trivialize it. It's also worth pointing out that our apparently shared beliefs (although it's hard to refer to them as shared when yours are so much more fully developed than my own) about physical reductionism are somewhat controversial.

-- Luke