Bonapartism, Fascism & our new order

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Feb 15 20:33:53 PST 2002

Hi,

What new thing?

Political repression? Authoritarian demagoguery? Globalization on behalf of corporate interests? Unilateral warmongering? Roundup of residents based on ethnicity?

All of this has happened before. It is completely ahistorical to say this is all a new thing.

Don't buy the media hype.

Was it fascism when the US rounded up Japanese residents and put them in camps during WWII?

Was it fascism when Italian and Russian residents were rounded up and deported during the Palmer Raids in 1919-1920?

Was it fascism when the US passed the Chinese Exclusion Act in 1882?

Was it fascism when in 1798 the US passed the Alien & Sedition Acts primarily aimed at Irish radicals.

All of these were examples of political repression based on ethnicity. None of them are examples of fascism.

So I reject the idea that we "start-off with fascism as an initial analogy and find the real historical differences underneath."

How about agreeing the debate is pointless as long as a substantial number of the participants refuse to even seriously discuss any of the recent scholarship on fascism that result in a range of new definitions--none of which are applicable to the current situation?

Pick any recent scholar: Griffin, Eatwell, Postone, Fritzsche, Lacquer. How do their theories relate to the claim that were are in a period of fascist reaction? They don't! Their varied and sometimes competing definitions do not show any serious analogy that could be stretched to fit these arguments.

We should oppose government repression under capitalism, but not pretend that only fascism--not ordinary capitalism under stress--could bring us political repression based on ethnic scapegoating.

When you argue that only fascism could explain the current level of political repression you end up as an apologist for the repressive potential of capitalism. Gee, this couldn't happen under capitalism...only fascism can explain it. Huh?

Furthermore, at a time when actual fascist political and social movements exist in the world and are aligned against corporate globalization, using the term fascism with such a lack of clarity creates more problems than it solves.

As is pointed out, some of the same features behind interwar European fascism exist today:

> The present period
> is clearly not just a periodic conservativism, there is
> nothing very conservative about it, it is active reaction.
> There are the cross-class demogogic characteristics, the
> reliance of force, the rampant anti-liberalism, the
> promotioon of anti-reason, the disregard for the rule of law,
> the scapegoating and public hate campaigns.

But these are all elements that can be found in several different systems and styles of politics, especially right-wing populism. I do not think it is as much a reactionary moment of proto-fascist barabarism as a coalition of several tendencies each using 9/11 to opportunistically advance its agenda.

Militarism Unilaterialism Corporate expansion The "Terrorism" Industry indentified by Herman and O'Sullivan Christian conservatism & fundamentalism anti-tax anti-regulation (anti-envionmentlaism)

Bush is paying off all his campaign debts.

All of the draconian laws and regulations that have taken effect have been proposed for years ever since Congress penalized the FBI and CIA for wretched excesses in the 1960s.

But none of this can lead to a serious debate unless there is a willingness to discuss the contemporary scholarship on what fascism was and is, and how these new definitions make a huge difference in how progressives should be analyzing the current crisis.

-Chip Berlet