JEC on BWIs

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Fri Feb 15 21:06:30 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Vikash Yadav wrote:

> What are the terms and rate of interest with the loans from these
> institutions (JBIC & EIB)? Are the loans more concessional than those of
> the WB?

Yup. The EU has no disciplinary arm equivalent to the IMF, thank the Gods. Loans are still not a great idea for peripheral countries, but the EIB gives you low rates, lengthy repayment/grace periods (e.g. 5 years of paying no interest on a 15-year loan). And if you ever have to default, you sit down with EU governments elected by an amazing innovation, unknown in the US, called the *popular vote*.

Data on the Mediterranean countries is at: <http://www.eib.org/pub/press/2002/2002-005.htm>. Data on SE Europe is at: <http://www.eib.org/pub/press/2002/2002-007.htm>. Eastern Europe: <http://www.eib.org/pub/accstrat_en.pdf>. The amounts might seem small, but these are significant investment inputs for the countries involved, due to their low per capita GDP.

> It should also be noted that the global South are not a bunch of beggars

Never said they were. They're the working poor of the world-system, locked into permanent debt bondage, who ought to unite and repudiate the debt entirely.

> think). Members of the IMF/WB have a right to access their own resources.

Trouble is, accessing those resources comes with a terrible price-tag: adopting toxic free-market nostrums which the rich countries have long since bothered to apply to themselves.

-- Dennis