Those brilliant squid

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Feb 16 03:20:28 PST 2002

I remember reading in several places way back when I was a geeky teenager interested in all thing squishy (and I mean that in a briad sense :) ) that the more advanced molluscs -- squid and octopi -- have the most highly developed nervous systems in the invertebrate world. They also have an extremely nuanced and complicated communications system based on manipulation of skin color.

I remember also that octopi can figure out how to open doors, jars, etc. on their own. I don't believe even dogs can do that (OK, no opposable thunbs so they couldn't do the jar thing even if they knew how, but you get the idea).

I've always been curious about the smarts of giant squid -- but since nobody's ever seen a living one, who knows?

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ------------------

Where did you hear that squid are intelligent?

- -- Luke