Dollarizing Central Asia through Afghanistan

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sun Feb 17 11:49:19 PST 2002

Well yeah, I don't see why Afghanistan should be the US's "responsibility" either. It's a strange idea. The US uses dollarization - as in Argentina - to its own advantage. Dumping the gold standard when everybody was holding dollars was a smart move for the US and bad for everyone else.

But the important point is not the protectorate angle, it's the dollarization and exclusion of the Euro angle IMO.

|| The turn toward the

|| dollar may simply be a desperate attempt to curb hyperinflation

|| and rampant

|| counterfeit currency practices.

Last I heard the Afghani was way overvalued; can't figure out why it went down so much while it's still raining 100-dollar bills. Counterfeiting has to be the reason.

|| The only other country that I can think of which uses another country's

|| currency as its official currency is Kirabati, which relies on the

|| Australian dollar. Does anyone know of other cases in the

|| post-WWII era?

Sure, Kosovo. It's switching from the Mark to the Euro now.

|| As for the Gulf States mentioned in the article, does anyone

|| know if they

|| have officially pegged their currencies to the dollar?

Yes. The GCC is talking of maybe moving to a basket including the Euro, but notime soon. BTW the rumors I once mentioned that Saudi was thinking of pricing its oil in euros proved to be unfounded.

Hakki