Fatah destroys Israeli tank

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 18 01:05:55 PST 2002

All accounts that I've seen now say it was a Merkava-3, the pride and joy of Israeli defense contractors. This agrees with what Hakki posted earlier.

IF you like tanks, the Merkava-3 is a great all-purpose main battle tank, but like all tanks, its armor is most vulnerable at the underside of the hull and the top of the turret (but in this case, the Merk looks to have one of the best ballistic-shaped turrets I've ever seen on a tank, and the Palestinians don't fly A-10s).

The Merk's hull underneath might even be more attenuated given the overall size and weight of this tank and the need to save weight somewhere. If the Merk3 has the 'escape hatch' in the back like the 1s and 2s, this also means it has an expanded area that can possibly house 6 infantryman as well as the 4 crew (3 of whom are in the turret). This might mean the underside is even further attenuated because of the overall length to create the extra storage/personnel space.

It was probably a device we could give this nomenclature that ended the tank: BFSC

Which means BIG FUCKING SHAPED CHARGE.

As for the Debka report, it seems a bit far-fetched that the the turret ring was the location of any second charge. First, someone would have to sneak into a guarded motor pool to plant the device. Second, you could account for the turret blowing off the tank just from the force of the explosive from underneath. Third, we can bet this tank wasn't carrying anti-tank ammunition, but was stocked up on its own high explosives, mortar rounds (yes, the tank is equipped with mortars as well), and machine guns ammo for its three 7.62 machine guns. Fourth, I'm betting that the turret on this tank is lighter than the Merkava 1s or 2s because it is not hydraulic, so, who knows, maybe it blows off easier?

For all the protection modern tanks have against high explosive anti-tank projectiles and fin-stabilized armor piercing rounds, they are always vulnerable to a high explosive shaped charge. The problem for anyone who wants to use them is getting close enough to a tank to set off the explose. Of course this is why magnetic anti-tank mines have been around for quite a while.

In tank warfare, the Merkava would be invulnerable to most armor piercing rounds simply because with its advanced gun and controls, the Israelis are counting on first round hits at very long ranges before the other side could fire their guns. No one builds a tank with the idea that the main enemy is a shaped charge buried in the road.

Charles Jannuzi