Columbia University President opposing TA unionizatoin

Chris Beggy news at kippona.com
Mon Feb 18 07:01:49 PST 2002

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema <crdbronx at erols.com> writes:

> This is a message all Columbia students got from the outgoing president of
> Columbia, concerning unionization of teaching assistants.
>
> Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema

The replacement pipeline for these TA's is already in place. There's no cap on the number of H1-B visas issued for university/non-profit positions.

Chris

H-1B visas jump in 2001

By Rachel Konrad

Staff Writer, CNET News.com

January 22, 2002, 1:40 PM PT

Demand for skilled foreign workers reached an all-time high in fiscal

2001--despite a recession and massive layoffs of American workers.

The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) received 342,035

applications for H-1B visas between Oct. 1, 2000, and Sept. 30,

2001--a 14.4 percent increase from fiscal 2000, according to a survey

released Tuesday by VisaNow.com. H-1B visas allow foreigners with

college degrees and relevant job experience to work in the United

States, usually for technology firms looking for programmers and

engineers.

The survey, based on public data supplied by the INS, is one of the

first to demonstrate that the recession hasn't necessarily dented

demand for controversial H-1B visas. A flurry of news reports in the

past year have concluded that demand may be shrinking because the INS

issued only about 163,000 H-1B visas in the 2001 fiscal year--far

short of the federal cap of 195,000.

But VisaNow.com spokesman Mark D. Shevitz said that the federal cap

applies only to certain professionals, such as programmers and

engineers at private technology companies. A large percentage of the

foreign workers are exempt from the cap--including scientists hired to

teach at American universities, government research labs and

non-profit organizations.

"Just because we didn't hit the cap doesn't mean there's any less of a

demand," Shevitz said. "You need to look at the number of H-1Bs

applied for, not approved, to determine demand."

Many of the applications in the past year have been for visas in

universities, government agencies and non-profit groups, an INS

representative said Tuesday. But the INS has not released data on how

many of the 178,835 applicants who did not get visas under the H-1B

cap were exempt and may still receive visas.