Sixty Seconds to Eternity

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Feb 18 16:39:48 PST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Charles Jannuzi wrote:

> And how are the
> keiretsu going to create a EU-style superstate out of Korea(s), China,
> Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Japan?

I wonder about this myself. I'm not sure they'll have anything to do with it; it might be that the developmental states will have to take the lead here. It could be that this is the central task facing the East Asian Left right now: how to transition from resisting malevolent developmental dictatorships, to building welfare states. In the East Asian semi-periphery, the task is building developmental states in the first place, of course.

-- Dennis